Cluster in Horizon Europe
Pillar 2 in Horizon Europe consists of 6 clusters in addition to the Joint Research Centre (JRC):
Cluster 1: Health
The objectives of this cluster include improving and protecting the health and well-being of citizens of all ages by obtaining new knowledge, developing innovative solutions and, where appropriate, incorporating gender perspectives in the prevention, diagnosis, monitoring, treatment and cure of diseases. Further objectives are the development of health technologies, the reduction of health risks, the protection of the population and the promotion of health and well-being in general and in the workplace. Finally, this cluster also aims to make public health systems more cost-efficient as well as more equitable and sustainable. This is to prevent and combat poverty-related diseases as well as support and enable the participation and self-management of patients.
Applicants should cover the entire spectrum of the research and innovation cycle with their projects and should also contribute to the implementation of research results in the field of care.
Destinations of the work programmes in the "Health" cluster
- Staying healthy in a rapidly changing society
- Living and working in a health-promoting environment
- Tackling diseases and reducing disease burden
- Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable and high-quality health care
- Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies and digital solutions for a healthy society
- Maintaining an innovative, sustainable and globally competitive health-related industry
Kontakt in der BayFOR
Cluster 2: Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society
This cluster aims to strengthen European democratic values, including the rule of law and fundamental rights, preserve our cultural heritage and promote socio-economic changes that contribute to integration and growth.
Applicants in this cluster are primarily from the humanities, social sciences / cultural sciences and the arts sector. Their projects make an innovative and application-oriented contribution to important and forward-looking research and social issues in Europe.
Destinations of the work programmes in the "Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society" cluster
- Innovative research on Democracy & Governance
- Cultural heritage and the cultural and creative industries
- Innovative research on social and economic transformations
There are no independent missions or European partnerships for the 'Culture, creativity and inclusive society' cluster. However, the humanities and social sciences can play a relevant role in projects, e.g. in societal challenges or interdisciplinary approaches.
Contact at BayFOR
Cluster 3: Civil Security for Society
This cluster addresses the challenges posed by ongoing security threats, including cybercrime, as well as natural and man-made catastrophes.
Through their projects, applicants in this cluster support the implementation of the EU’s security, cybersecurity and civil protection policy priorities. In detail, new knowledge and innovations help the emergency services and those responsible to deal with and prevent criminal activities, terrorist threats, cyber threats, crises and catastrophes.
Destinations of the work programmes in the "Civil Security for Society" cluster
- Better protect the EU and its citizens against Crime and Terrorism
- Effective management of EU external borders
- Resilient Infrastructure
- Disaster-Resilient Society for Europe
- Strengthened Security Research and Innovation
- Increased Cybersecurity
There are no separate missions or European partnerships for the 'Civil security for society' cluster. But there are synergies with other clusters or programme lines, e.g. in the protection of critical infrastructures (e.g. health systems, transport and energy infrastructures) or the „Digital europe“ funding programme.
Contact at BayFOR
Cluster 4: Digital, Industry and Space
The aim of this cluster is for Europe to develop competitive and trustworthy technologies for European industry that is a world leader in key areas, enabling production and consumption to respect the ecological limits of our planet. Furthermore, in Europe, these technologies are intended to maximise the benefits for all parts of society in the various social, economic and territorial contexts. This will build a competitive, digital, low-carbon and recycling-oriented industrial environment, ensure a sustainable supply of raw materials, develop advanced materials and provide the basis for progress and innovation to address global societal challenges.
With their projects, applicants in this cluster support issues such as the 'Competitive and secure data economy', 'Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies which work for people', 'Secure and cyber-secure digital technology', 'Mitigating climate change and adaptation' and 'Recycling and the clean economy'.
Destinations of the work programmes in the "Digital, Industry and Space" cluster
- Climate neutral, circular and digitised production
- Increased autonomy in key strategic value chains for resilient industry
- World leading data and computing technologies
- Digital and emerging technologies for competitiveness and fit for the Green Deal
- Open strategic autonomy in developing, deploying and using global space-based infrastructures, services, applications and data
- A human-centred and ethical development of digital and industrial technologies
In addition to the cluster of digitalisation, industry and space „European partnerships“ are also promoted in this field. There is also the „Digital europe“ funding programme, which provides funds in this area.
Contact at BayFOR
Cluster 5: Climate, Energy and Mobility
The aim of this cluster is to combat climate change by better understanding its causes, development, risks, impacts and opportunities, and by making the energy and transport sector more climate- and environmentally friendly, more efficient and competitive, smarter, safer and more resilient.
With their projects, applicants in this cluster support the EU’s ambitious goal of being climate neutral by 2050. Research and innovation projects should also bring significant added value for the population.
Destinations of the work programmes in the "Climate, Energy and Mobility" cluster
- Climate sciences and responses for the transformation towards climate neutrality
- Cross-sectoral solutions for the climate transition
- Sustainable, secure and competitive energy supply
- Highly energy-efficient and climate neutral EU building stock, and Industrial facilities in the energy transition
- Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes
- Safe Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods
In addition to the climate, energy and mobility cluster, this area will also support the missions „A resilient Europe to tackle climate Change“, „100 climate-neutral cities by 2030 – both with and for society“, and „European partnerships“.
Contact at BayFOR
Cluster 6: Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment
This cluster aims to reduce environmental degradation, halt and reverse the decline in biodiversity on land, inland waters and in the sea, and better manage natural resources through transformative changes in the economy and society, both in urban and rural areas. Knowledge, innovation and digitalisation in agriculture, fisheries, aquaculture and food systems will ensure food and nutritional security for all within the planet’s limits and steer and accelerate the transition towards a low-carbon, resource-efficient, recycling-based economy and sustainable bioeconomy, including forestry.
Applicants in cluster 6 expand knowledge in these areas, build capacities and develop innovative solutions.
Destinations of the work programmes in the cluster "Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment”
- Biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Fair, healthy and environment-friendly food systems from primary production to consumption
- Circular economy and bioeconomy sectors
- Clean environment and zero pollution
- Land, ocean and water for climate action
- Resilient, inclusive, healthy and green rural, coastal and urban communities
- Innovative governance, environmental observations and digital solutions in support of the Green Deal
In addition to the food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment cluster, the 'Healthy waters – Mission starfish', the mission 'Soil health and nutrition – Healthy soils for a healthy life', and 'European partnerships' are also funded in this area.